Monday, January 8, 2007

In America it's bling-bling.




The rest of the quote is "But out here it's bling-bang." Danny Archer (played by Leonardo DiCaprio) captures the essence of what I feel is a true but sad state of life. Americans want more, more, more diamonds, gold, oil. While many Africans are paying in a greater cost than we would be willing to pay - their homes, their families, their lives. This quote comes from what I am watching - Blood Diamond.





I have to say the movie made me very sad. I feel so ignorant of what is happening (or has happened) in the world as a whole. I am making it a point of changing that - I am going to read more newsmagazines, watch more news, pursue a deeper intellectual knowledge of history, check-in online with overseas newspapers and make a daily look at more than one newagency website. I do not know that I can change the world, but I can be less self-involved!





Reading - Marley and Me so far this is a cute book, far from my movie-watching experience (although the author does work for a newspaper).




No comments: