Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Blind Contessa's New Machine

"On the day Contessa Caolina Fantoni was married, only one other living person knew that she was going blind, and he was not her groom."




So begins Carey Wallace's first novel. The writing is elegant, the story is moving and it as if you are reading a grown-up fairytale. The story-telling draws you in and you are dreading the inevitable conclusion that you can't but hope will not happen.

The short novel is based on a true story and it is a quick read. The details that the Contessa recalls as she loses her sight are so well detailed, that you feel you are seeing what she no longer is able to. I would have liked if the story was more fleshed out however. I felt that it was almost too short - mostly due to the pacing of the story. It did seem like it was a great idea that was not completely put down on paper.

The characters end up being the type of people I am glad I don't know in person, and I would not put this high on a list I would recommend due to this fact. I do wish that the beautiful descriptions would have led to a better read, but a Victorian morality is evident as those who lack a good moral compass end up paying for this lack. So, a mixed review from me. Beautiful language, but not a story that I felt was well-developed.

No comments: