Thursday, July 15, 2010


"Alice you cannot live your life to please others. The choice must be yours because when you step out to face that creature, you will step out alone."


When Alice in Wonderland first came out in theatres, I didn't have a desire to rush out and see it. I never was a big fan of the animated version (and I typically like Disney movies) and I thought that Burton (I usually am a fan of his movies) and Depp (one of my favorite actors) would maybe just be a bit too "weird" and over the top for me. But finally, I'd gotten into my head that I needed to watch it.


The thing is, I liked the film. I really liked it! Maybe it was the lower expectation I had going in? I thought it was beautiful to watch - I liked the color, I liked the costumes, I liked the CGI. I thought it was visually very pleasing to the eye.


I liked the actors in their roles - especially loved Helena Bonham Carter and thought she played wicked very entertainingly! I laughed at her wanting the pig for the footstool. I liked the supporting actors in the "real" world, I liked Alan Rickman as the caterpillar (where would I not like Alan Rickman?!), I liked Crispin Glover as the Knave (or is that King?) of Hearts. I liked Mia W. as Alice - thought she played the role of pale girl to the champion well. She grew on me as she went through her changes, although I do wish she would have not been so convinced she was dreaming for so long - that got a bit tiresome. Johnny Depp. Hmmm. Well, I think I expect him to be so good and weird, that I don't get overly impressed - but maybe that is the best part? He is spot on and I don't think to much of it. He makes it seem so natural and normal - probably why he can't get that Oscar!


I liked the storyline being developed from seeing what happens after Alice had visited Wonderland before. I liked seeing her family situation. It gave me the hook to care for the character. The "girl power" was a bit overdone for me, but it didn't irritate me to the degree that I focused on it.


I liked the words. Some very good lines, including my post title! Just overall well-written and a lot of fun to hear various characters and what they said. I wanted to pay attention and hear them.
Definitely glad I purchased this one and can see myself rewatching!

1 comment:

Christy Childers said...

i thought burton/depp/bonham carter were going to be a bit much in this one too, but i loved it! my favourite part is when alice is going out to fight the... what is it? bandersnatch?... & she starts listing all the "impossible" things that had already happened. & the dress changes were pretty clever too. :)